By these standards, modern Democrats have become Republicans, and modern Republicans have become batshit crazy. I think I’ve heard Kucinich mention Taft-Hartley, but you get a blank stare if you mention it to anybody under the age of 40. And to think that it used to be a topic of polite conversation among the political classes only 54 years ago.
On social services:
We are proud of and shall continue our far-reaching and sound advances in matters of basic human needs—expansion of social security, broadened coverage in unemployment insurance, improved housing and better health protection for all our people.
On the environment:
• We favor a comprehensive study of the effect upon wildlife of the drainage of our wetlands. • We recognize the need for maintaining isolated wilderness areas.
On regulation of business:
• A continuously vigorous enforcement of anti-trust laws • Legislation to enable closer Federal scrutiny of mergers which have a significant or potential monopolistic connotations • Procedural changes in the antitrust laws to facilitate their enforcement.
• Stimulate improved job safety of our workers, through assistance to the States, employees and employers;
• Continue and further perfect its programs of assistance to the millions of workers with special employment problems, such as older workers, handicapped workers, members of minority groups, and migratory workers;
• Strengthen and improve the Federal-State Employment Service and improve the effectiveness of the unemployment insurance system;...
• Assure equal pay for equal work regardless of Sex;
• Clarify and strengthen the eight-hour laws for the benefit of workers who are subject to federal wage standards on Federal and Federally-assisted construction, and maintain and continue the vigorous administration of the Federal prevailing minimum wage law for public supply contracts;
• Extend the protection of the Federal minimum wage laws to as many more workers as is possible and practicable;
• Continue to fight for the elimination of discrimination in employment because of race, creed, color, national origin, ancestry or sex;
• Provide assistance to improve the economic conditions of areas faced with persistent and substantial unemployment;
• Revise and improve the Taft-Hartley Act so as to protect more effectively the rights of labor unions, management, the individual worker, and the public.
Important Notices: By registering on this website,
visitors agree to abide by the rules outlined on our Rules
page. Messages posted on the Democratic Underground Discussion Forums and
Journals are the opinions of the individuals who post them, and do not necessarily
represent the opinions of Democratic Underground, LLC.